Yesterday I wrote about how to embed an audio player into Google Sites so you can play your own mp3 audio files. It involved some HTML and lots of screenshots. We also used Google Sites as the host of our audio file using the file cabinet feature in Google Sites.
However, storage space in Google Sites is limited! In addition, why upload an mp3 again when it is already in the cloud–perhaps on SkyDrive, Dropbox or Google Docs.
Using the information from yesterday’s post, I have created a short video to show you how easy it is to use existing cloud storage space to embed your audio in Google Sites. Take a look:
The video shows various methods but you can also use Google Docs as your storage medium as well. Audio in Google Docs? Yes, some time ago Google Docs allowed almost all file types to be uploaded. Google Docs has 1 GB of storage for regular user accounts. If that isn’t enough, Google sells additonal storage at ridiculously low prices. See the price chart here. I opted to add 20 GB of storage for only $5/year!
If you use Google Docs storage for your audio files, the procedure is exactly the same as in the video. Navigate to Google Docs, click on the audio file, right-click on the download link and copy the link address:
So whether you use SkyDrive, Dropbox or Google Docs as a storage medium, the only trick is to find the correct URL and then append that URL with &type=.mp3 to get it to play on Google Sites.
Here is the HTML code for the Google Reader Player from yesterday’s post:
<embed src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3523697345-audio-player.swf" flashvars="audioUrl=http://www.example.com/song.mp3" width="400" height="27" quality="best" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
If this copy and paste doesn’t work, go here and it should work fine.
To see the end result in the video and the addition of a player using a Google Docs audio file, click here.
Enjoy your audio capabilities on Google Sites!
- Our favorite Docs things – 2010 Year in Review (googledocs.blogspot.com)
- Easily Upload your Desktop Folders to Google Docs (labnol.org)
- Epic animation in Google Docs (flowingdata.com)
- New in Google Docs and Google Sites (googledocs.blogspot.com)
- Google Docs adds document version history, Google Sites new sharing options [TNW Google] (thenextweb.com)
- Windows Phone 7 to get SkyDrive integration? (downloadsquad.com)
- Guiding Your Way Through The Cloud (lockergnome.com)
- Ultimate Guide to Build Your Own Website with Google Sites (madrasgeek.com)